Thursday, May 5, 2011

First feel of Paris

Coming from small town Switzerland creates a huge culture shock upon arriving in Paris!

We flew in on Wednesday morning and decided to brave the Metro to reach our hotel.  This is usually okay because I am good with reading the train information and we reached the city efficiently (3 trains).  But it all fell apart when we reached our stop.  I took us the crazy long way around the block (why not have street signs on corners?) which was rough with the big suitcases.  I kept repeating to myself "I am just lucky to be in France, not at work, traveling is great."  Sometimes that works, but I will admit I was pooped when we got to the hotel.  But check it out, we have a view of the Eiffel Tower! (just trust Bob)

Fortunately it was GREAT.  All of the comforts we needed, great location, wonderful stuff. Way to go, Hotel Muguet.

We found lunch, which was fine, but check out my dessert (caramel crepes):
 We decided to go for the "hop on and off" bus tour.  With our limited schedule and plan, it seemed to go exactly where we wanted to go.  Bob is contemplating the route.
 Hey look, the Eiffel Tower again.  Man, it is HUGE.
On a later trip, we sat on the roof deck of the bus since the sun wasn't as fierce.  Bob managed this sweet shot with the obelisk at the Place de la Concorde behind us.
 We walked until we dropped and finally it made it back to the 'hood.  Not our most exciting dinners, but we were tired :)


We intended to actually climb the Eiffel Tower on this day, but the lines were too long.  We made a pact to get up early on Thursday morning and be there when it opened.  Time flies quickly in Paris and with a sunset sometime after 9:00 we were really discombobulated.  We will see how the next day goes!

4 comments:

  1. By the way, I lost my "fashion" sunglasses on Day 2. Argh. I lost a pair of sunglasses my first time in Switzerland too. Coincidence? I am wearing a pair from H&M that I got in Austria. Thankful for them! It was the first day we got to town early enough to shop.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go on the self portrait, B!

    ReplyDelete
  3. we're still reading!!!safe travels home...Marty & Janet

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm still reading too. I was waiting for Paris. See you Saturday afternoon. Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete