First off, this editor really sucks. I am not sure how these guys can put forth this blog software and be proud of it. I will do the best I can. Here's the front. You'd think that some hunchback somewhere would get himself over there and make himself rich charging for photos. If you've ever seen the pitiful "gladiators" in front of the Coliseum, you know what I am talking about. Sorry this is blurry. It was so bright out there I could hardly see the LED display on the camera. Oh, and did I say that I hate this tiny netbook keyboard and the poorly designed mouse pad thingee? I will never buy one.
The stained glass windows were nice, bright, and traditional.
The statues and decoration on the exterior were pretty cool, too.
Across the street we got crepes that were made with an interesting machine that worked by sliding the the batter reservoir on the left across the griddle as it deposited a thin layer on the hot surface. One was jam, the other Nutella




















After N.D. we headed to Pere Lachaise cemetary via the Metro. Pere Lachaise is "home" to many famous people. Here's Emily visiting Collette.
And Sarah Bernhardt
It seems you rub this spot for good luck.
Oscar Wilde has quite a following. Yes, those are lip prints. No, none of them are ours.
Emily leaves a stone on Gertrude Stein's headstone
Edith Piaf
This place was really big. and some of the roads made it look like a regular town. There are some very tall hills and uneven terrain. Don't come to here expecting an easy time of it. Especially after dark when the zombies come out.
And of course we visited Jim Morrison
Here's Bob stuck inside the invisble box around Marcel Marceau's plot.
Freddy Chopin!
Vivant Denon!
Heloise & Abelard
We managed to catch the tour bus back to the Eiffel tower in hopes of getting to the top. It was jam-packed in the morning with very long lines. After 6 or 7pm the lines go way down. Still, expect to be there at least a couple of hours. Our original plan was to climb the steps. After our days of walking Paris, we decided the lift was a better choice. Here's a shot from below as we wait in line.
Self portrait on the second level.
The Seine from the second level.
Me at the top. Yeah, it's that high up!
Another view from the top.
And, who would have thunk it. We ran into the Johnsons! They were doing their own unsupported tour and one day of it slightly overlapped with ours. We first saw them in Schaffhausen at the hotel breakfast. We ran into them again on the road between Schaffhausen and Zurich. They finished their cycling tour, went home (they currently live in Switzerland), and just happened to be in Paris and at the top of the Eiffel tower at the same time as us. What are the odds?!
The view at sunset.
For dinner we ate the Cafe Central on Rue Cler. Bad blogger that I am, we didn't take pictures of the food (le Hamburger and Spaghetti). We did have some good ice cream cones afterwards.
Wow, Notre Dame without scaffolding around it repairing one thing or another, as it usually appears. :-p
ReplyDeleteNice touch, whoever, on the Jim Morrison grave: cigarettes and drug bottle.
I didn't know I had "cousins" living in Switzerland. Must investigate.
You have some pictures that could be duplicates of ones I took in '92. Of course there is scaffolding in my shots of Notre Dame.
ReplyDeleteAny reports on the "good luck" that Bob should be having now?
ReplyDelete