Despite our long nap on Thursday, we slept in on Friday morning. I finally convinced myself to get up for a jog. This is such a great way to see a city. I am alone, so I am not preoccupied with conversation. I'm going faster than a walk, so can see more, but slower than a car/bus (or worse a subway, where you see nothing). I found a beautiful park, a few landmarks, and got a better feel for the geography.
Bob and I tried the hotel breakfast, which was great, and we vowed to return the next day. We started off by walking to the nearby Metro station about two blocks from the hotel. We ran across the pinkest, fluffiest, folding bike I am sure we'll EVER see.
Our goal was the Atomium, a structure built for the 1958 World's Fair. It's a magnified version of a unit cell of an iron crystal but frankly it looks like a metal jack. The trip on the metro was fun, mostly similar to other major city metros. Here's Bob in the station by our hotel:
After a transfer, and a good look at the Brussels 'burbs, we arrived. We took this shot while waiting in line for tickets. In the 1 minute that took, we found 5 new friends in line in front of us. We were learning quickly that there's not much respect for the queue.
The trick is to stand very close to the person in front of you and do not lose sight of them. Any space is fair game.
Finally we made it inside, with first a tour of an exhibit about the building of the structure plus a special exhibit about some other architect guys. We alternately walked/rode the escalator up to the 5th level, which I think is the ball in the center. One of the long flights:
Here's one view from the top, when we finally waited out the line for the elevator. With a diligent effort to glue ourselves to the group ahead!
It was worth seeing but we'd recommend going nearer the end of the day. When we left, around 2:30, it was much emptier.
On our return Metro trip we decided to get off near the Botanical Garden and then walk to the cartoon museum. Unfortunately the Metro stop was in a shopping mall and we were majorly sidetracked. This was becoming a master study in line behavior. I saw the strangest things like line budging, but then incredibly slow management of money and purchase. Or, standing at a strange angle to the cashier so that the line appeared empty and then making a face at whoever (me) stepped up. Finally my patience and Visa had enough and we left. At this point we found the Botanical Garden with about 15 minutes left to closing. It was beautiful, though, and worth the short visit. There's something magical about an oasis in a busy city.
We didn't make it to any other museums since the afternoon slipped by while waiting in line all day. After a brief break in the hotel we explored the 'hood by our hotel and found a cool bar and had a beer and mixed platter of meats and cheeses.
(I'll spare you another beer picture). We walked around a bit and sat down for an OK dinner at a place called Metro Cafe. I had salmon and Bob had some kind of wurst. The waitress rolled her eyes a bit when he ordered, so it's probably best to not know the details.
Tomorrow we are getting the train to Paris in the morning. I really hope the hotel wi-fi is as generous at the new place!









No comments:
Post a Comment