Thursday, December 1, 2011

Putting things in order for Asia

I think that 114 days is not too far in advance to start obsessing over our trip to Taiwan and China in the spring.  Here's what I have done/thought about:

  1. Just mailed our passports to the China Visa Service Center in Chicago, so they can get our China visa.  This is a great service because it must be done at a China embassy and Chicago is the closest to us.  Of course the worry about mailing our precious passports makes this step pretty exciting...    I am also considering a short vacation this January with girlfriends to Mexico, so I need that back!  
  2. We saw Carl & Chi-tsai last week in New Jersey for Thanksgiving.  We learned a lot about what to expect and how to say a few things (mainly hello and thank you, the latter I have already forgotten).  We also have a better idea of what to bring for clothes and what to expect.   This really got me excited.
  3. I am making a list in my head.   There are some things we need to remember like getting money at the airport, so the list includes packing and reminders. 
  4. Do we have the right luggage, shoes, etc?    Bob needs real walking/hiking shoes/sneakers (he's a converse kind of guy) so there will be shopping.   I have a habit of talking myself into new things for trips always, so I am sure I'll join him.    We also want to put together our best "technical" clothing, since we'll be going to a hot/wet climate. 
Things will be more "real" when the passports, with new visas, arrive back home.  Then the full obsessing can begin!

1 comment:

  1. It really is a huge trip. A friend and her husband took their 2 (adopted from China) daughters about a year and a half ago and had to spend a lot of time prepping them about such things as differences in toilets. Jenny & Mike lived in China for a year so maybe you can get some tips New Years.

    ReplyDelete