Saturday, April 23, 2011

And We're Off!

Getting ready to leave for such a long trip turned out to require hours of deciding and packing.   Both Bob and I completely filled a big suitcase each.  We tested the weight of Bob's suitcase with the old "Emily gets on the scale, Bob hands her the bag, we do the math" - and it turned out to be accurate.  We both made it in just under 50 pounds.

My mom was gracious enough to bring us to the airport, which is lot less expensive and a lot more comfortable than a cab ride.  Awesome!  We built in a lot of extra time because security takes so much longer lately with the extra scans, etc.  Well, apparently Saturday morning isn't a busy time at the airport.  We are able to walk right up to the United counter and there were about 3 people in the security line ahead of us.  Oh well.

After a series of stupid traveler tricks on my part, including practically volunteering myself for the x-ray (but realizing my mistake at the last second and squeaking by), we made it past security with 2 hours to spare!  We did a little shopping, exchanged money, had a snack, went to the bathroom several times, and still made it to the gate an hour in advance.  I am using the time to write this, posting made possible by a random unsecured wireless network.

Our first leg is to DC and after a short layover we have the long DC to Zurich leg.  I am not looking forward to the flight, but it's a small price to pay for a fun trip.

Auf Wiedersehen!
-Emily

2 comments:

  1. Good luck you too, and have a fantastic trip! I will be checking on you guys.

    Take Care and have fun!

    Alycia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Remind me, I have a present for you upon your return..... To be used on your next awesome adventure - a luggage scale.

    ReplyDelete